I spent more than 4 hours at a stretch sitting in front of my computer trying to update an existing feature on a web-site developed by my company. The targeted exercise was supposed to be a minor tweak that was to be completed in 10-20 minutes. It was actually a programming short-cut aimed at optimizing the code to reducing system overheads and that in-turn would improve performance.
Now, after spending so much time I am back to square -1. Yes -1. The feature that was working fine is not working any more. I think I have bungled up in a big way. The bungle is very big because it has effected the working of the entire site. Many features are not working now. To top it, I don't have backup.
I think, I have tweaked some common system setting of the site and I don't remember which. Out of the 4 hours I have spent the last 2 trying figure out what went wrong.
I am going to quit for the day and go home to my wife and kid. Hope the change will rejuvenate me and refuel me for the debugging session tomorrow.
I really hope I don't have to start from scratch. Wish me luck. I am going to need lots of it.