5 states had gone to polls during November 2013 and first week of December 2013 in the country and today, results were announced for 4 of these state elections - Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan and Delhi. The counting and results for Mizoram the 5th state is expected tomorrow.
The take aways from these are...
- BJP has emerged as the clear winner of the polls - It is going ahead to form government in 3 of these states.
- In Delhi, BJP is the largest party in the assembly but lacks the clear majority.
- Congress has become the biggest loser.
- It has been reduced to a very small party in states where it was in power i.e. in Delhi and in Rajasthan.
- Congress has won only 8 seats in the 70 seater Delhi Assembly.
- Congress has won only 21 seats in the 200 seater Rajasthan Assembly.
- In Chhattisgarh and Madhya Pradesh, things were not that bad for the Congress. May be the incumbency factor helped the party a little in these two states.
- In fact, there were occasions during the day as the results were being announced, that the Congress Party might actually form the government in Chhattisgarh.
After today, AAP has been established as a formidable which no one will take lightly anymore.
Congress is the oldest political party of the country and it really needs to get its act together, the national elections are round the corner.